Find a Specialist to Talk to.

Filter by Location

Therapist Avatar

Dr. Bekah Bernett

Developmental Psychology

Professional Feed

  • Developmental Psychology

Setting & Services Offered

  • Sensory Processing Disorder / Autism / ADHD / Adults with ADHD Autism or SPD
Therapist Avatar

Jess Draper

OTR/L, CBS, and pelvic floor therapist

Professional Feed

  • Hali’a Therapeutics, LLC

Setting & Services Offered

  • Infant Oral Motor Skills / Pelvic Floor Therapy / Consultation Services

Questions to ask a Occupational Therapist
Not all occupational therapists are trained to work with children who have Sensory Processing Disorder. When looking for an OT on, you may want to consider asking them the following questions:

  • Are you certified as an occupational therapist by the National Board of Certification in Occupational Therapy?
  • Do you have specific training in assessing and treating children with Sensory Processing Disorder? How did you receive this training?
  • Have you been mentored by an expert in OT with a sensory integration approach?
  • How much experience do you have in working with children who have developmental issues or Sensory Processing Disorder?
  • Are you trained or certified in using standardized diagnostic tools for assessing Sensory Processing Disorder?

Additional Resources
If you are unable to find an OT on or wish to explore other options, here are some resources that may be helpful:

  • Contact your local hospital and ask to speak with someone in the occupational therapy department or rehabilitation unit.
  • Reach out to a university near you and inquire about their occupational therapy program. You can find accredited programs through the [American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) website]( Go to the AOTA home page and click on "Academic Affairs & Accreditation," then "Educational Programs."
  • Check out the AOTA Specialist Directory and list of state Occupational Therapy Associations on their website. Visit the AOTA home page, click on "Consumers," then "Find an Occupational Therapist."

If you are unable to find an OT with adequate sensory-based training in your area, consider the following options:

  • Choose an OT who may not have extensive sensory training but still seems like a good fit.
  • Look for a professional in another field (such as physical therapy or speech/language pathology) who has some experience with Sensory Processing Disorder.
  • Consider traveling to a location like the STAR Institute Treatment Center in Denver, where they offer intensive treatment for out-of-town clients.

Overall, it may take some research and outreach to find the best fit. Keep in mind that finding a therapist with specialized training in sensory integration may greatly benefit your child's progress and therapy experience.  So don't be afraid to ask questions and explore all options!  Additional information and support can also be found through online communities, parent support groups, and organizations dedicated to Sensory Processing Disorder. With the right resources and support, you can find the best care for your child's sensory needs.  Remember, every child is unique and may require a different approach, so keep an open mind and trust your instincts when finding a therapist for your child.  

Shop from our Top Choice of the month

Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit,